Monday, September 13, 2010

Happy Birthday to...US!

Today marks my 32nd birthday. W-O-W! Thank you Father God for blessing me with yet another year. (It's great being a Virgo!) I'm also grateful for all the wonderful birthday calls, texts, IMs, emails, e-greetings, facebook posts, Tweets and cards that I've received. Lucky me :-)

I've had a few low-key celebrations this weekend, but Sunday was tops. Yesterday was Crown Sunday at Community of Hope AME Church. It was a time for the ladies (it's also Women's Season!) to get all dolled up and don their "crowns" (fancy hats) in honor of the late, great Dr. Dorothy I. Height. I was excited. I love playing dress-up.

During the Service, Dr. Height's milliner Vanilla Beane was introduced. Dr. Height was one of her favorite customers and a dear friend. She was the cutest thing I've ever seen on two feet and just as sweet as she could be. What's best is that she's celebrating her 91st birthday today! (I can only DREAM of looking that good, when I'm 41.)

She spoke briefly about her friendship with Dr. Height (she loved to be dressed in shades of purples and pinks.) and how she loved making women "look pretty". This made me wanna wear hats everyday just for kicks. It was an honor just to be in her presence, chit-chat, shake hands and get a warm hug.

Happy HAPPY birthday, Ms. Vanilla Beane!
with...Milliner Vanilla Beane
Wanna get fancy, too? Check her out:

Bene Millinery and Bridal Supplies
6217 3rd Street, NW
Washington, DC 20011-1311
(202) 722-0862

I'd also like to extend BIG birthday wishes to several other special "913" folks:
  • My mother!
  • Mrs. E. Lockhart
  • Mr. A. Askew
  • Ms. P. McLeod
  • Ms. Z. George/Lady Anavaa Kisasa
  • Mrs. B. Epps
  • Nell Carter (RIP)
We rock. We rule. Happy birthday to us all! :-)
*Smooches&Hugs*

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Say What? Say Huh?

::I Dig!::